- The big issue is the spread of Internet censorship, starting with Tumblr’s ban on adult content starting December 17th, 2018. The Verge says this will probably be the end of a unique, diverse and vibrant sex positive culture, such as a woman’s self-published nudes. Even before then, Tumblr was flagging completely innocuous posts as adult content. Wired has more details. While this may not be targeted at women’s sexuality, it will probably come down hardest on that.
- Engadget covers Facebook’s own crackdown on sexual speech.
- Perhaps paradoxically, Marcus K Dowling writes that kink is poised to explode into the mainstream in much the same way as porn exploded in the 1970s.
- As I’ve dug deeper into the silent film era in search of the proto-dominatrix and the roots of fetish fashion, I found that a certain image I and many other people thought was of Musidora in her famous Irma Vep black catsuit was actually someone else entirely, from a Musidora-inspired photo shoot. The perils of uncredited images.
- The Conversation documents the moral panic about sadism in 1930s Australia, and how this ended up doing a disservice to victims of violence.
- Margaret Cho is producing a web series about a queer, Asian-American, professional and lifestyle dominatrix, called Mercy Mistress. First episode on Youtube.